The history of Brandon is full of interesting people who have helped to shape the city as we know it today. Use the links below to explore the names from Brandon's past.
Elliott, William Alexander
William Alexander Elliott was born in Wingham, Ontario in 1866. His work and educational endeavours took him to England, Chicago, New York, and Montana before he settled in Brandon in 1899. Elliott set up practice as an architect and quickly became one of the city’s finest. His commissions included the Bank of Montreal building the Brandon Collegiate Institute (now New Era School), the Central Fire Hall, Victoria Methodist Church, St. Matthew’s Anglican Cathedral, Clark Hall, and the Former Christie Residence. Elliott also played a role in the designing of the Brandon Hospital for thee Insane. In 1913, he was appointed chief inspector of the Manitoba Legislative Building. Regarding municipal politics, Elliott was a staunch Conservative. He and his wife, Hester, had eight children. The large family was a musically talented one; “The Elliott Family Orchestra” played across both Canada and the United States.
J.H. Edmison was born in Ontario in 1873 to a Presbyterian minister. He practiced medicine in Dunrea before moving to Brandon in 1908. He was, by most accounts, a popular member of the professional community. In 1922, and again in 1927, he won the provincial election as the Liberal-Conservative coalition candidate.
Evans, John R.C.
John R.C. Evans was born in Nanaimo, B.C. in 1891. He attended high school and college in Brandon before pursuing his PhD at the University of Chicago. After completing his degree, Evans returned to Brandon to become a geology professor at the Brandon College. He was appointed president of the Brandon College in 1938 and would hold the position until his death in 1959. The campus’ Evans Theatre is named in honour of the former president.
Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Click here to send your comments to Heritage Brandon.